Friday, November 9, 2007

Statistical Anomalies For Dummies


Thursday

I noticed something interesting after I entered Wednesday's run into my log at runningahead. The week of 9/30/07 - 10/6/07 I ran 10.6 miles in 2:58:50. This week as of Wednesday 11/4/07 - 11/07/07 I ran 10.02 miles in 2:29:06. Sometimes it's difficult to look back on the logs with the right frame of mind, but that kind of improvement is undeniable. I need to remind myself of these numbers next time I have a slow day.

Got home and the precipitation was at bay, so I decided to brave the cold temperatures and go for a run outside. After yesterdays success with compression shirt and cotton long sleeve, I figured today I would be fine with compression under long sleeve tech. It felt colder than yesterday, but the temp was probably the same. I think the worst part of the last couple days has been my ear protection. I have sensitive ears that are easily bothered by inclimate weather. I bought a fleece headband for these occasions when I would need protection from the cold. I must have a big head though cause it is way to tight and really restricts me from turning my head. I need to go to my mom's house and dig out my old ski stuff, I used to have a knit headband that fit perfectly. I tried to start todays run a little faster than normal. The dirt road that I run for about a 1/2 mile near the beginning has turned to a giant mud pit. It's not much fun dodging mud puddles and sodden ground, but it does seem to make that part go faster. Today in fact was the fastest I've run the beginning, got back to the driveway in 10:41. I could feel that I had been running faster in my legs. I hit the last mile mark in another fastest time at 11:01. Running that last mile has turned into the funnest part of my run. I always seem to run it pretty quick. I finished the last mile in 13:19, giving me a shocking total time of 35:01. Yesterday felt really fast and today to shave almost a minute off seems pretty improbable. After doing a little math in my head I now think I have a real shot of finishing Sunday's 5k in 42-43 min. Tomorrow is a planned rest from run weight/exercise day. Saturday I'm going to do a very easy 2.5 miles, but I should be able to go early in the morning so that I will have more than 24 hours between that and the 5k.

2 comments:

Pat said...

sounds like your endurance is really coming along. keep it up all winter long and you'll do great in the spring. Heck, you're doing great now.

Jeff said...

Emil -- you've made amazing progress. Much to be proud of.

Sunday will be a great day -- you're ready.