Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sailing The Asphalt Seas


Monday

I weighed 313 lbs this morning. That is a loss of 3 lbs this week, bringing my total weight loss to 54 lbs. Stringing another loss onto my little streak that I have going here is pretty encouraging. It's got me thinking that I might be able to get under 300 before the start of the new year.

I had the day off from work today, so I was even more lazy than I would have been. By the time sick wife got home from work I was ready to get out for a little recovery run. Since my legs felt fine I figured my normal 2.5 mile route would be good. Once I had my running shoes on I noticed that the top of my left foot was hurting. I took it off and put it back on but the pain was still there. It wasn't severe it was like I had my shoes tied too tight, but they weren't. I ran anyway and about two steps in I totally forgot about it. I wasn't pushing at all so I was a little surprised that my odd little splits I do all came back very average instead of slow. I finished in 36:47 with no walk breaks.

Tuesday
I did my weights routine, it was uneventful. I must say that the most surprising thing about the last few days is not my recent 5k accomplishment. It's that I'm not sick. Both the kids have mucus/congestion nastiness going on for the past 5 days. Sick wife is on day 2 without a voice and lots of coughing and congestion for her too. Yet I am (knock on wood) feeling tip top. I thought for sure I'd be sick by now. I haven't even really been trying not to get sick, I figured it was a foregone conclusion. I still give goodnight kisses and I'm horrible at remembering to wash my hands. I've heard that exercise can stimulate the immune system as well, but this seems extreme. Maybe the sickness is manifesting itself as the pain on the top of my left foot. It's still there, and it seems to hurt more when I walk with shoes on. Running, I know it's there but I wouldn't call it pain. I have a vague memory of having this pain some other time, before I started running. It must have went away on it's own, as I didn't go to the doctor then. I'm not worried, but I'm going to keep an eye on it in case it doesn't dissipate soon.

Wednesday
I was on my way home from work, still about 10 miles away, when the first raindrop hit my windshield. Then another. It was already quite windy out, but the temp wasn't bad when the wind wasn't blowing. I reasoned with the weather gods that if the rain could hold off long enough for me to get out and running then they could torture my all they wanted once I was warmed up. Apparently benevolence won out (that or happenstance) because those raindrops subsided a mile or two south. I was able to get home and get on the road rather quickly. As I was walking out to the road I suspected this wouldn't be a very quick day as the wind was really blowing. Weather.com had the winds yesterday at 22 mph. After a tenth of mile though I could feel that my pace felt faster than usual. I was back to the driveway (.7 mile) in record time, 10:18. The mile stretch from .1 mile before my driveway to .1 mile after the last mile marker was all wind. I figured that this would really slow me down as I felt like a giant sail out there. I was surprised though at the last mile marker (.8 mile from driveway) because there was another record time 10:52. With the wind at my back the last mile was a piece of cake and a record for at home, 12:30. The total time was 33:40. I was obviously pretty happy with the days results. It was very encouraging to see that I could break a 13 mm on my own. I have been wondering when I should increase the mileage of my regular runs up to 3 miles. I think the next time I break 34 minutes total will be my cue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emil, I've been following your blog for a while now (I guess I've read the whole thing, and the previous one) and I just wanted to chime in and say how inspirational you are. I'm getting started running too, though not for weight loss, and I love to read about your successes, especially as you are becoming more enthusiastic about racing.

There's a chance you've already done this, but if you want to see something interesting and encouraging I suggest you take a look at your runningahead log, go to graphing, advanced graph, and do an XY plot of date vs. pace. It's amazing how consistently downward the trend is. Cool!

I'm antihero on RA.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Sometimes I forget that you are over 310 pounds. When I was that size I was still WALKING on the treadmill. And I could do that for about 30 minutes only.

So just keep up the great work.

Jeff said...

Me, too, Dan. Emil -- you are on fire. Don't hesitate to add an extra house or two each run to slowly build up to the next level.